After Gentle Giant
Derek worked his way to become a vice-president at PolyGram Records, where he signed not only Bon Jovi but also Cinderella, Kingdom Come, Tears for Fears, Men Without Hats, and Dexy's Midnight Runners. Later, as president of ATCO Records, a subsidiary of Warner Communications, he signed AC/DC, Bad Company, Pantera, The Rembrandts, Jive Bunny, and Soho... all of whom went platinum or multi-platinum. He also signed Dream Theater while at ATCO. Derek also was president and CEO of Roadrunner Records in New York City, which has rock-oriented artists like Slipknot, Type O Negative, Coal Chamber, Fear Factory, and Machinehead. After that he was president of OMA Records.
Other bands signed by Derek include World Trade (featuring Billy Sherwood before he joined Yes).
- Member, Simon Dupree and the Big Sound (1960's)
- Member, Gentle Giant (1970-1980)
- Director of Promotion and Artist Development, PolyGram (1982)
- Director Of A&R, PolyGram (1983)
- Senior VP of A&R, PolyGram ()
- President and CEO, Atco Records (1988)
- President and CEO, Collision Arts (1994)
- President and CEO, Roadrunner Records (1997)
- President and CEO, DRT Entertainment (2006)
- Co-founder, 2 Plus Music & Entertainment (2010)