Difference between revisions of "User:Dan"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''Dan Barrett''' is the creator and [[Project:Administrators|sysop]] of
'''Dan Barrett''' is the creator and [[Project:Administrators|sysop]] of .
== About me ==
== About me ==
Revision as of 03:02, 19 February 2009
Dan Barrett is the creator and sysop of The Gentle Giant Home Page.
I've been a progressive rock fan for many years but, believe it or not, didn't hear of Gentle Giant until 1987, when a good friend introduced me to The Power and the Glory. And... I didn't like it! But somehow, those complex compositions ingrained themselves on my brain, and today that album is my favorite in all of rock music.
I created the GG Home Page while earning my Ph.D. in computer science at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Today, I work in the software industry. I've written columns and articles for Keyboard Magazine and am the author of several books about computing, including Linux Pocket Guide, MediaWiki (the wiki software that powers this web site), Linux Security Cookbook, SSH, the Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, NetResearch: Finding Information Online and Bandits on the Information Superhighway, all published by O'Reilly Media.
You can email me at:
I've written a number of books in the computer field, if you're interested.
- MediaWiki, October 2008, ISBN 978-0-5965-1979-7. (All about the software that powers The Gentle Giant Home Page.)
- SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition, 2005, ISBN 0-596-00895-3.
- Linux Pocket Guide, 2004, ISBN 0-596-00628-4. (Over 100,000 copies sold in 6 languages.)
- Linux Security Cookbook, 2003, ISBN 0-596-00391-9.
- SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide, 2001, ISBN 0-596-00011-1.
- NetResearch: Finding Information Online, 1997, ISBN 1-56592-245-X.
- Bandits on the Information Superhighway, 1996, ISBN 1-56592-156-9.